Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week 1 Photo Challenge: Self Portrait


This weeks’ photo challenge was to create a self-portrait that displays who I am, and when people I know look at it they can agree that it is definitely me. I thought about how I could do this very carefully. I wanted to show a sense of happiness and simplicity. I did not want to use many props because sometimes that can steer the viewer away from what you want them to focus on in the photograph.
I knew right away that I wanted to photograph against a white background because this helps the feeling of happiness come across more. It also is pleasing to the eye in that it doesn’t make you compete with the subject matter. I chose to photograph this in my house because I knew that the ambient lighting in my bedroom would be perfect during the day when the sun is on that side of the house. At this time of year it has been around 4pm. Along with ambient lighting I added some bounce flash to fill in the shadows on my face.
The next thing I had to consider was how I looked. I knew I wanted to show myself laughing in an un-posed position.  This did raise a challenge because some of what I came up with looked liked they were posed. I was able to get this shot, which I am happy about. I chose to wear the white shirt because it also showed simplicity and would not interfere with where your eye goes. The reason I went for simplicity was because in my life I have found that I tend to enjoy more of the simplistic things.
When given a challenge like this, I suggest you look at your inner self very carefully and try to see what the world sees in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment