Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 2 Photo Challenge: Crime Scene


This week’s photo challenge was to photograph a crime scene. I was very excited to do this in the fact I am a huge C.S.I television fan among many other crime scene shows. However, I was completely stumped on what I wanted to photograph. I have never photographed something so devastating and out there. I could not see myself photographing death with blood so I began researching to see how other photographers have approached this challenge.  I came across what looked like fashion photos where girls were posed as if they had fallen off of a building only without a spot of blood on them. I was intrigued at seeing these and immediately knew I wanted to do something similar. I loved the fact that they were very clean and the thought of crime scene still came across.
I knew right away that I wanted to have grass as my main area of  “death”. Also, I knew I wanted my model to wear something that made her seem like she was part of an upper class society. My main goal was to have bright shoes to kind of draw this fact in and then from there I chose the dress. I was happy to have a friend and fellow photographer, Tiffani Hecker, to model for me. I knew she would have the shoes and the perfect outfit to go along with my idea. I chose to take my photo one step further by adding a strangulation bruise around her neck in case the thought of crime scene didn’t come across right away. I believe that it was a good decision to make.
After getting all her makeup done and choosing her outfit, we then ventured outside around 6pm. It couldn’t have been a more perfect lighting situation. It was cloudy, so I did not have to deal with shadows and was able to use available light. I chose to use a wide -angle lens so that I would be able to capture the length of her whole body. I was really happy with my results. During the editing process I decided to add a blue tint to the photo to get a feeling of cold and death.
This process was very exciting and I would love to try it again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment