Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Week 10 Photo Challenge: Nothing


This week’s photo challenge was to photograph “nothing”.  This kind of caught me by surprise and made me think a lot about what I could possibly do.  I did research to see what other people had done, but what they photographed did not seem like “nothing”.  Every one of them had a person, a place, or object in them.  I understand though that “nothing” means different things to other people.  For me it means everything.  I’m an optimist, and when I see what others see as nothing, I think of it as something more than that.  I thought about doing one of me sitting in a quiet setting and showing that I was thinking about nothing in my normal surroundings, but I did not want to make it look like I thought of myself as “nothing”.  So I decided to take a different approach to the challenge.  I chose to photograph through a thick piece of glass window that was in my friend’s apartment.  It was around 4:30 in the afternoon.  I was not sure right away what I would come up with.  I was looking for just an empty space that had some different textures flowing through it.  I finally found a piece that had the reflection of a building in it.  I thought for me this “nothing” meant seeing the world with an un-open mind. I also felt that it could mean you have a completely open mind, but you can’t figure out how to get there.  I really think that the different lines, curves, and colors make this photo work.  Whether or not this means “nothing”, is for the viewer to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment