Tuesday, August 9, 2011

BOC Week 5: Competitive Analysis

I made an effort to do research on four photography websites. I chose to do some high end and some low end. I wanted to give a summary of each site while also listing some of their strengths and weaknesses.

The first website I came across was http://www.cooganphoto.com/.
At first I wasn’t too sure about it because of the layout, but right away I could tell that the photos were well done. I then began to realize that the photographer Dan Coogan deals mostly with photographing businesses. He photographs corporate, editorial, fashion, advertising, and industrial location photography. He is a member of ASMP(American Society of Media Photographers)National and ASMP Arizona. All photographers should be a member of some photography group. This is what helps you network and be recognized in order to gain more clients. A great strength that I found is that he has a LONG list of clients who are well known to everyone. Another strength of the website was that it was very easy to navigate through. The only weakness I was able to really see was that there really wasn’t an about me section on the website. I feel that this can really let you know who you will be working with.

The next website I found to do research on was http://cinderellaphoto.com/.
I was able to find this site on the side page of Google while searching photographers. It is typical of many websites I ran across with just having photos all the way down the site. On the side they also have an easy setup to go throughout the site to browse other photos. It is a husband and wife team that specializes in Romantic Photography. They photograph weddings, engagements, and also do some photo booth photography. Their strength for me is the photos themselves. The after product is very clear and dream like. I would want them to do my photos. On their website they also have their wedding prices listed and they seem to fall within what most wedding photographers charge. The one weakness I considered them to have was giving their clients all the copyrights. This means they have no rights to the photos anymore. They are both big on this move. On their about me page they have a video where they clearly state why they do this.

The next photography I chose was http://valencaphotography.com/.
At first glance I noticed the logo and thought it could use better typography. Also, the photos to me did not stand out in any way. I then noticed that they are a member of the WPJA(Wedding Photojournalist Association), so I decided to look further. It says on the home page that they are based in Charleston, South Carolina, but as soon as I opened up the visit my website link it opened up a page that was full of photos taken in Las Vegas. So I then decided to check out their blog. I saw so many beautiful photos which is a great strength to have, but they were not even near what was on the website and that was a big shock to me! So I continued looking through the blog and found that there was a page that said for more information on wedding and portrait photography in Las Vegas and surrounding areas to visit the website. These to me are big and confusing weaknesses.

Finally, I decided to try to find a low end photography site by going farther down the Google list than most people go. I found one at http://www.imaginephoto.us.
Right away I was bored and wanted to leave. There were many weaknesses on this site. The photos looked mostly like point and shoot shots and on top of that whoever did the website made most of the photos distorted. This is a sign of not having the right web designer. You definitely pay for what you get. They photograph weddings, venues, landscapes, events, animals, and portraits. On their wedding packages they list all their prices which are way under what the average wedding photographer charges. They also give all copyrights to the client. The only strength I found was the fact that they put up testimonials from previous clients.

As I searched through all these sites, I definitely have a better understanding of what to do and not to do for my own site.



No comments:

Post a Comment