Wednesday, August 17, 2011

EOC Week 6: Ron Galella and the First Amendment

In the movie "Smash His Camera" we learned about the life of Paparazzo Ron Galella. He has been known as the most controversial celebrity photographer in the world. Galella started photography while in the Air Force during the Korean War. He later attended the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles, California, and graduated with a degree in Photojournalism in 1958. After seeing the movie I really had mixed feelings about Galella. I have never liked how Paparazzo’s worked with their cameras. I know that celebrities are always constantly in the public eye, but it seems like Paparazzo’s  today get way out of hand with their craft. I feel that if I were a celebrity I would feel like my life is threatened with all of those people constantly following me in mobs. Galella was and still is a sneaky Paparazzo. He biggest muse was Jacqueline Kennedy-Onasis. Although I hate the paparazzo lifestyle, I really enjoyed looking at many of Galella’s photographs of her and many other celebrities. They are all done in such an artistic way that they don’t look like photos you see in all the tabloids today. Galella photographed Jackie so much that she took him to court for “harassing” her. Essentially they called it a free speech trial. She was only able to get a restraining order against Galella for him to not come anywhere within 150 feet of her. The first amendment kicked in for Galella saying that this was his way of making money and that he had the right to do it. I am glad that he was able to win this because as a photographer myself wanting to make money by taking photographs would not want to be sued for something I enjoy doing and that in no way harms people.

No comments:

Post a Comment