Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Week 4 Photo Challenge: Weddings

The photo challenge for this week was to photograph something that says "wedding". It can be very hard to just have a wedding on a whim's notice, so I started thinking about alternatives of how to do this. I began researching to see what wedding photographers are doing. Right away I noticed that they do many detail shots. I wasn’t too sure still how I could approach this, so it took some thinking. At first I thought to photograph my wedding dress just hanging up. I did that and I just did not like the way it turned out. My next thought was to try to do a “ring” shot. This is shot where both the bride and grooms rings are shown next to a detail from a piece of decoration or something else at the wedding. I didn’t want to do mine and Michael’s because they are very simple with not a lot of detail and could use a bit of shining up. I was able to ask a friend who is getting married soon and already has hers and his ring. She gladly volunteered them. Next I needed to figure out where to place them. I decided to place them on a window sill my bedroom at about 5pm when the light is nice in there. I also placed behind the rings several different items just to see what they would look like and a vase with blue smooth rocks was my final choice.  I did have a few issues with my focus at first because I was shooting with my 18-55 lens which does not focus super close subjects. It didn’t take me too long to figure out a nice length to shoot at and this is the result. In Photoshop I did add some clarity and also a vignette to make the photo “pop” more. 

Objects are always a little bit harder to photograph than people for me, so this was a great learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment