Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Week 7 Photo Challenge: Self Portrait Through Someone's Eye


This week’s photo challenge was to do a self portrait in someone’s eye.  I knew right away that I wanted to use my husband, Michael for this challenge. I thought it would be neat to show him as he sees me. By doing research I saw that most people chose to do an extreme close up of someone’s eye, so I knew right away that I wanted mine to stand out and be different. I wasn’t exactly sure how I would accomplish it, but I was determined to try by experimenting. 

I knew that it needed to be on a day where the sun was shining through my bedroom window because it makes the best light any photographer could ask for. I photographed it around 4 PM. In order to capture myself in his eye I needed to be somewhat silhouetted, so I placed myself in front of the window until I saw myself in his eye. At first I was not seeing myself very well, so I tried to hold my camera vertical instead of horizontal. I immediately saw my arm and knew that this was where I needed to be. For the shot I tried to get in close, but I did not like it too much because I wanted to have a different photo than most people. I then backed up my lens just enough to see an expression on my husband’s face while still being able to see myself in his eye.  I was able to capture this image and I just loved how natural it looked. This is how I get to see Michael through my eyes. He didn’t know how close or far away I was and I was still able to get this subtle reaction from him. I knew right away that this was the shot. I chose to desaturate the photo some in Photoshop to help your eye go to his eye more.

No comments:

Post a Comment