Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Week 3 Photo Challenge: Action Sports


This week’s photo challenge was to photograph a sport in action. I immediately thought of photographing my husband, Michael, who does a sport that many people may not recognize as being a sport, and that is running. Michael is an Ultra runner. This means he does races that are longer than a marathon which is 26.2 miles. The longest race he has done is 100 miles. I am amazed at his ability to be able to do this and think he is just plain crazy.
I have photographed him before running, but it has been quite a challenge. It is one I want to perfect because as a photographer this is great thing to know. Sports photography can be very hard to capture because movement is so fast. Knowing what I have done before when photographing sports, I immediately knew that I needed to use a very high shutter speed. There was no need to use any other camera other than my Canon rebel XSI with my 18-55 lens.
My next challenge was figuring out where to photograph Michael. I asked him about his different routes he takes because I know he has many different ones in order to run at least 15 miles a day. He told me of a few spots and the one that I really thought would be interesting was to photograph him in front of the solar panels that are on the base property. We went out about 5pm on a very rainy and cloudy day. I always am thankful for these days because it makes beautiful light on a subject. I chose to photograph full body so that you know right away that he is a runner. I was very happy with the results I got because in the past they have not been as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment