Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Week 5 Photo Challenge: Painting With Light


This week’s photo challenge was to “paint” with light. I thought really hard about how to approach this assignment. I didn’t want it to look like a child photographed it. My first initial thought was to be in the dark and use glow sticks. Many people have done this assignment and have written words, so I tried to stay away from that. I did some research to see what other people have done and it still was hard to get a fresh idea. So I just decided to experiment and see what I would come up with. I asked my friend if she could bring over her three kids. They are seven, five, and one. I bought three glow sticks, so that each child would have one. I started with the oldest girl because I knew she would have more patience with letting me get the settings I needed. I then did the youngest girl, but she could not sit still long enough for me to capture a few shots. This was alright though. I love how children can be so spontaneous and just say I’m finished now. I then went back to photographing the oldest child and the above is my result. I photographed them in the dark on my living room floor. The shutter speed was at about five seconds. I asked her to try different things with the glow sticks. I knew right away that this photo was going to be a great one. The expression on her face was priceless along with the green mystic glow across her face. Also, the surrounding areas that are black remind me of a messed up negative that gives you an interesting result. It makes you wonder what else is surrounding her. Where is she at? This was a fun challenge to do and I would love to more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment